Use freshly roasted and just-ground coffee.
- Brew with water heated to between 195 and 205F.
- Use one ounce (30 grams) of freshly ground coffee per 16 fluid ounces (454 grams) of water. Adjust to taste.
- Store whole-bean coffee in an airtight container. Keep it out of direct sunlight and away from heat, cold, and moisture. Avoid storing your beans in the fridge or freezer, as these places can facilitate odor contamination and damaging condensation.
While there is a lot of fancy equipment to brew coffee these days, below are some main categories to help remove some of the confusion. Prima Coffee Equipment has helpful articles on step-by-step brewing methods, so I have attached a link if you want to know the specific on any given brewing method
- Manual Pour-Overs: Chemex, Eva Solo (filter-free), V-60, Kone (Full How-to)
- Immersion : Clever, Aeropress, French Press, Siphon (Full How-to)
- Drip: Traditional automated drip coffee makers and single-cup k-cup style brewers. (No article here...just read the back of the box)
- Cold Brew: Using room temperature, this kind of coffee brews 12-24 hours and can then be used in iced coffee applications. Avoiding high heat allows for a smoother and less acidic taste. (Iced Coffee vs. Cold Brew Article)
Cold Brew Recipe
*5oz (2cups) Coarse Ground Coffee (Java Ice Blend)
*3 cups cold water
*15-24 hours of time
1. Combine the coarse ground coffee and cold water into your French press.
3. Allow to sit at room temperature between 15-24 hours.
4. Press the coffee as you would a French-pressed coffee.
5. You now have iced coffee concentrate.
*Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy over ice. Dilute with water and/or milk.
* Depending upon the size of your French Press, this recipe may need to be cut in half to not overfill.
How to Brew on a Clever
It's all in the bean...heart.taste.aroma